This is a list of books and videos that I think every Christian should read or watch. I read a lot but I mostly read commentaries and scholarly journals when it comes to my studies. These are some of the non-commentary resources that I have found extremely beneficial in my life.
Understanding the Bible
- Best Commentaries — A great site to see which commentaries people consider the best to read and why with links to where you can buy them. Many people ask me what commentary series should they read when studying a book of the Bible. I do not really stick to series but look for the best authors who are writing on that particular book of the Bible. The reality is that there are a lot of commentaries that are dense, technical, and hard to get through. The NIVAC, TOTC, TNTC, and APOTC series are very scholarly and accessible and a good place to start.
- The IVP Bible Dictionary — The best dictionary series there is on understanding key concepts and figures in the Bible. The article entries on each topic are written by experts on that topic who give a very detailed and deep understanding of each dictionary entry.
- The Bible Project by Tim Mackie and Jonathan Collins — A great video series that does a really good job of giving you an overview of the different books of the Bible and their major ideas and themes. You should watch these before you ever start reading a book of the Bible.
- The Nature of the Gods by Marcus Tullius Cicero
- Putting Jesus in His Place by Robert M. Bowman — The best and easiest to understand book that I have ever read showing that the Bible claims that Jesus is God and that Jesus really did see Himself as God.
- How God Became King and Simply Jesus by N. T. Wright — These two books get at the core of what the gospel truly is and really unpack what it means for Jesus to be the God-man who stepped into history.
- Paul Among His People by Sarah Ruden
The Christian Life
- Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis — A classic where Lewis logically proves that everyone has an innate concept of right and wrong. Lewis then develops this argument to prove the existence of God and then ultimately that Jesus Christ is God and savior. Anything that C.S. Lewis writes should be read.
- A Christian Manifesto by Francis Schaeffer — This book shows why morality and freedom have crumbled in our society. He calls for a massive movement-in government, law, and all of life to reestablish our Judeo-Christian foundation and turn the tide of moral decadence and loss of freedom. Anything that Francis Schaeffer writes should be read.
- Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton — This is an autobiography and essay in apologetics of how Chesterton came to believe that Christianity was true and the best philosophy by which one could I've their life.
- Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey — An incredible book that shows how history and philosophy have wrongly brought us to a modern worldview that our Christian spiritual life is separate from our public life. She shows why our faith and desire to share the gospel seem so disconnected from our everyday life and vocation.
- The Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer — The link is for a set of three classic books. Incredibly deep, reflective, wisdom on Yahweh, humanity, and knowing Yahweh.
- The Valley of Vision by Arthur Bennett — A collection of puritan prayers that are both theologically solid and deeply meditative. They are like the modern Pslams for one's prayer life personally or corporately. These prayers will help you express a deeper reverence and praise for Yahweh.
- For the Love of God by D. A Carson — This devotional, and its follow-up, are biblically solid reflections that place each Scriptural reading into the larger framework of history and God's eternal plan to deepen your understanding of his sovereignty and the unity and power of his Word.
- The Songs of Jesus by Timothy Keller — A very thoughtful devotional that takes you beyond a surface reading of the Psalms.
- Truth for Life by Alistair Begg — A thoughtful devotion on who Jesus is and what it means to live Him out in our lives.
- Peace Child by Don Richardson — Tells the story of how Don and Carol Richardson risked their lives to share the gospel with the Sawi people of New Guinea.
- The Beautiful Side of Evil by JoAnne Michalson — A great testimony of a woman who thought she was a Christian and was led into the occult through the influence of evil spirits deceiving her. She then tells of how she found the true Jesus and how He powerfully rescued her from the false spirits that had deceived her.
- Spirit of the Rainforest by Mark Andrew Richie — Tells the story of the Yanomamo people of the Amazon who were enslaved by the spirits and Shamans of the forest and on the verge of destruction. Then a group of missionaries brought the gospel to them and over time the people of the villages began to experience the redemption of Christ.
- Finding God's Healing from Sexual Brokenness Part 1 and Part 2 by Sy Rogers — Sy Rogers is the best and maybe only voice in Christianity that talks about sexuality in a redemptive way. He used to be gay and found redemption and healing, which is told in his testimony.
- The Search for Significance by Robert McGee
- Reinventing Your Life by Jeffrey E. Young
- Intimate Encounters by David and Teresa Ferguson
- The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy and Kathy Keller
- Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Last by John Gottman
- Gottman Card Decks by John Gottman
- Codependence by Pia Mellody
- Positive Parenting Solutions by Amy McCready
- Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles that can Radically Change Your Family by Ted Tripp
- Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel
- Nurture that Is Christian by James C. Wilhoit
- The Century of Self by Adam Curtis
- The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek
- The Revolt of the Masses by José Ortega y Gasset
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury